Friday, May 8, 2009

Act. Anything. Scene. Ask Me Anything.

Kay and Ess sit on a park bench.
What a lovely day.
The birds are chirping.
The grass is greener than green. 

Ess turns to Kay.

Ess. Honey.

Kay. Yes dear?

Ess. You look beautiful in this light.

Kay. Why thank you.

Ess. I want you to ask me anything.

Kay. Pardon?

Ess. You can ask me any question and I will be honest with you. Completely.

Kay. Oh my.

Ess. Yes.

Kay. Double edged sword don't you think?

Ess. Pardon?

Kay. I said, 'Double Edged sword don't you think?'

Ess. I suppose so. Why do you say that?

Kay. Because. You win either way.

Ess. Explain.

Kay. Well... On one hand I have the power of knowing the past... but on the other hand... I know you're past.

Ess. Yes.

SILENCE

Kay. Do you love me?

Ess. Oh, Yes.

Kay. Have you ever been with someone else while we were together.

Ess. Yes.

Kay. Why?

Ess. Not sure.

Kay. We've never had sex.

Ess. I know this.

Kay. Yet you have sex with other people?

Ess. This is true.

Kay. Why?

Ess. Not sure.

Kay. That hurts me.

Ess. I'm sorry.

Kay. I'll have sex with you.

Ess. You're a virgin. I can't have sex with a virgin. I'll feel dirty.

Kay. But I like you. And I trust you. It all makes sense. Everything they told us in school about waiting. Wait until you love someone and trust someone and care for something. I certainly love you, Ess and I CERTAINLY trust you. And I care for you deeply. 

Ess. That's very kind of you.

Kay. So why don't you ever want to have sex with me?

Ess. .............

SILENCE.

Kay. Ess?

Ess. Kay?

Kay. .... Do you love me as much as I love you?

Ess. ..................... No. 

Kay. ...........

SILENCE

Ess. Well, I best be off.

Kay. Where are you going?

Ess. To bed.

Kay. I'll see you at home, then.

Ess. I'm sleeping in my own bed tonight.

Kay. What?

Ess. Yes, remember the night you accidentally locked me out and I had to go to my place to sleep?

Kay. Yes. Very sorry, by the way.

Ess. Oh, quite alright. I realized how much better I sleep alone.

Kay. You don't like it when I hold you?

Ess. Oh, it's fine every once in a while. 

Kay. But Freud says you never sleep better than if you sleep with someone you love.

Ess. Yes.......... Well..................

SILENCE

Ess. So I'll see you tomorrow perhaps?

Kay. Perhaps....

Ess. CHERIO!

Ess leaves.


Kay. I waited and waited and waited for someone I love and trust.... funny thing is.... he doesn't love and trust me.....

Kay stands up on top of the bench. She looks up. She examines the sky. She prays to god outloud.

Kay. God. I want to leave. Please make me into a cloud so that I can be gone forever.

Suddenly Kay begins to float and she floats and she floats and she turns into a cloud. 
Every time it rains. 
Ess cries. 


END

No comments: