Thursday, April 9, 2009

Act. She seems like. Scene. An old friend.

Lights up.

A microphone. 
Pure Silver.

Edna St. Vincent Millay takes the stage.
Looking very charming.

Edna. Hello All.

(Applause from the peanut gallery that pretends to know her work... but it's really a class thing... Tickets were 234023948230y780 dollars and 39 cents. It looks real good if you're here tonight of all nights)

Edna. I would like to give you some advice.

(The audience dies down)

Edna. I love humanity. But I hate people.

(Silence)

Edna. It's not true that life is on damn thing after another; it is on damn thing over and over.

(Silence)

Edna. Soar. Eat Ether. See what has never been seen. Depart. Be lost. But Climb.

(Silence)

Edna. Where you used to be. There is a hole in the world. Which I find myself constantly walking around in daytime. And falling into at night. I miss you like hell.

(Silence)

(Silence)

(A single boo is heard)

Edna. Thank you.

(She leaves.)

END

No comments: