Saturday, April 25, 2009

Act. Remember... Scene. When...

Lights up.

A man stands at a microphone
A woman stands at a microphone
A boy stands at a microphone.

The microphone heights are:
5'00"
4'04"
3'09"

They speak as they read from notebook papers they have written on.

Woman. Remember when I thought I was a woman?
Man. Remember when I thought I had control?
Woman. Remember when we took that trip to paris?
Boy. Remember when I caught that grasshopper?
Man. Remember when I broke down?
Boy. Remember when that grasshopper died?
Woman. Remember when we had sex?
Boy. We had a funeral for it.
Woman. You were rough. And cold.
Man. Remember when I asked you to marry me?
Woman. I pretended you were warm and gentle
Boy. I cried.
Woman. Because that's what I wanted.
Man. You said yes and then you cried.
Boy. Remember when I played baseball?
Man. And cried and cried.
Woman. Remember when we took that balloon into the air?
Man. Then you threw your arms around me. 
Boy. Remember when I caught that pop fly and you were proud of me?
Man. And you said Yes like it would be the last time someone would ask you a questioned you would say yes to.
Woman. We saw the fields and roads below... like it was a small model train set.
Boy. Daddy?
Woman. It was like we were in our own world.
Boy. Remember when you were proud of me, Daddy?
Woman. Remember when you were in love with me?
Man. Remember when we slipped away?
Boy. I caught that fly ball and got Andy out. 
Man. And you no longer waited till I got home from work to go to bed. 
Boy. And you were happy for me.
Woman. Remember when you were in love with me? Remember?
Boy. And you shouted "That's my boy!"
Woman. I bragged all the time, 'That's MY boy."
Boy. You loved me so much.
Woman. You couldn't keep your hands off me.
Man. We used to kiss like it was our jobs. Hahaha.
Boy. That was before. 
Man. You loved the taste of my mouth, you said.
Boy. That was before.
Man. Said it tasted like 'Man'.
Boy. Before you were sad. 
Woman. You would touch me all over like I was the last thing you would ever touch. 
Man. We kissed as if we would never see each other ever again.
Boy. Before you were sad and made everyone else around you sad.
Man. When we held each other... I never wanted to let go. Never.
Boy. You were so angry all the time.
Woman. You wanted to know exactly what my body was like. Wanted to know the curves exactly. How my waist was. How my nipples felt. My teeth. The difference of the skin from my elbow to my knee to my toes to my thigh to my vagina to my arm to my lips... my lips... remember when you would lick my lips. You said they tasted like the ocean. Said they tasted like 'Fresh'. And you loved me. Remember when you loved me?
Man. I never wanted to let go. I would hold you. I would try and push yourself into me. I knew that we could become one person if we tried hard enough. And every time. Every single time as I was about to push you inside of me you would break and say, 'gotta go to work'. or 'you're hurting me, Leonard.' And I would let you go and stare at your eyes that were never looking back at me. They were... looking at a watch... or my beard and then you would say, 'you need to shave.' I never wanted to let go, April. You did. You're the one who moved from me in the bed. You were the one who stopped touching me. I remember we used to have sex all the time. Now... the idea makes you bored and miserable. Remember when I was happy?
Boy. You were so proud of me, Daddy. Remember when you were proud of me? And you bragged to everyone else that I was your son. I felt like I belonged. I felt, 'thank God, My dad knows I'm his son.' And on our way home we got an ice cream cone and we shared it and you said you loved me and I smiled like I was never going to smile again. 

Woman. Remember when you loved me?

BLACKOUT

No comments: